Does vocabulary instruction sometimes take a backseat to other standards? This week’s podcast episode discusses the importance of including vocabulary instruction in every unit. We know that vocabulary is a critical component for reading comprehension, yet for years, vocabulary instruction has not been the priority it should be.
Join me as I discuss why vocabulary instruction is not only relevant but essential and how it should be incorporated into daily instruction (or at least part of every unit). The goal is for students to have multiple strategies at their disposal when encountering new, unfamiliar words.
In this episode on the relevancy of vocabulary instruction, I share:
- The connection between vocabulary and reading comprehension
- Why we should incorporate vocabulary instruction into every unit
- Teach students specific strategies they can use to determine the meaning of words
- Have fun with vocabulary instruction!
Vocabulary resources you can use with your class:
Related blog posts:
- Vocabulary Instruction: The Key to Comprehension
- Vocabulary instruction that works
- 5 Ways to Gamify your Vocabulary Instruction
Be sure to join the Secondary ELA Facebook group where we will be continuing the conversation about the importance of vocabulary instruction.